0113 343 1813
Summary: The development and application of statistical methods for advancing epidemiological research. Specifically hierarchical modelling focusing on perinatal & nutrition epidemiology & meta-analysis.
Location: Division of Biostatistics & Leeds Institute of Data Analytics, Worsley Building
Teaching Commitments: I am module lead for the following postgraduate modules: MSc in Health Research: MEDR5120M, Analytic research (twice a year). MEDR5130M, Intervention research (twice a year). MEDR5140M, Statistical inference in health research. MEDR5145M, Statistical methods in health research. MEDR5150M, Statistical modelling in health research. MSc in Epidemiology & Biostatistics: MEDR5025M, Multlevel & latent variable modelling. I also make substantial contributions to the following postgraduate and undergraduate modules: MSc in Health Research: MEDR5120M, Analytic research (twice a year). MEDR5130M, Intervention research (twice a year). MSc in Epidemiology & Biostatistics: EPIB5001M, Research project. EPIB5034M, Mini-project. Masters in Public Health / International Health: MEDR5200M, Health research methods. MSc in Child Health: CPCH5007M, Research methods and medical statistics. MbChB: Research, Evaluation & Special Studies module 2 (RESS2). Research, Evaluation & Special Studies module 3 (RESS3). Extended Student-led Research or Evaluation Project (ESREP). I currently supervise 6 PhD students.
· The influence of macronutrient dietary patterns on pregnancy weight gain, birth outcomes and child health- a pooled cohort study, EU.
· Cholesterol and triple negative breast cancer, Breast Cancer Now.
· Cluster RCT: Increasing bowel cancer screening uptake: Development and testing of a new behaviour change, Yorkshire Cancer Research.
· Quantitative 3-dimensional assessment of multi-tissue pathology in knee osteoarthritis, Arthritis Research UK.
· Assessing iodine status and associated health outcomes in British women during pregnancy, Department of Health.
· Making the best use of new technologies in the National Diet and Nutrition Rolling Survey, Department of Health.
· Statistical advisor to WCRF Continuous Updates Project (meta-analysis of observational studies), World Cancer Research Fund.
· Nutritional Status and Dietary Intake of Toddlers Aged 18 Months: Born in Bradford 1000 Cohort Study, Danone.
· Nutritional Status and Dietary Intake of Toddlers Aged 12 Months: Born in Bradford 1000 Cohort Study, Danone.
· Systematic review of rehabilitation in care homes, NIHR.
· RCT: Interventions to reduce alcohol consumption in schools, NIHR.
· A UK on-line 24h dietary recall tool for population studies: development and validation against biomarkers (application of structural equation modelling), MRC
· Smart phone: promoting weight loss and improved health using mobile phone technology, MRC.
· A systematic review of the evidence of the benefits and risks of different dietary carbohydrates on cardio-metabolic health and disease (including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, insulin resistance, glycemic response and obesity), Department of Health.
· The effect of maternal iron status and intake during pregnancy on cardiovascular disease risk in the offspring, Wellcome.
· Characterising hospital performance for acute coronary syndromes using the Myocardial Infarction National Audit Project (MINAP) Database: Data incompleteness, multiple imputation and development of performance indicators, BHF.
· The role of fruit, vegetables and associated nutrients and patterns on weight change in middle-aged women, World Cancer Research Fund.
· Does a vegetarian or 'healthy' dietary pattern interact with eating frequency to influence the risk of developing breast cancer? World Cancer Research Fund.
· Cluster RCT: A 'smart' lunchbox template intervention, Food Standards Agency.
· Cluster RCT: Optimisation of the National School Fruit and Vegetable Scheme, MRC.
· The associations between food, nutrition and physical activity on risk of pancreas & stomach cancers, and possible mechanisms underlying them, World Cancer Research Fund.
· The associations between food, nutrition and physical activity on risk of endometrial cancer, and possible mechanisms underlying them, World Cancer Research Fund.
· Trends, treatment and prevention of childhood obesity, Leeds Primary Care Trusts.
· Evaluation of the National Schools Free Fruit & Vegetables in Schools scheme, Department of Health.
· RCT: Can peer educators influence healthy eating in people with diabetes? Food Standards Agency.
· Assessment of caffeine consumption, altered caffeine metabolism and pregnancy outcome, Food Standards Agency.
· RCT: A randomised trial of an internet weight loss resource: the web-based weight management (WWM) trial, PPP Healthcare Trust.
· A method comparison study to compare a shorter versus a longer scanning time for bone scintigraphy in diagnosis of metastatic disease, NHS R&D.
· The development of a dietary assessment tool for children, Department of Health.
· The impact of childhood diet on subsequent oral health, bone density and growth: a longitudinal study, NHS R&D.
· Mortality following non-fatal deliberate self-poisoning: a 12 year outcome study, NHS R&D.
· Comparison of different sampling techniques to assess public perception of food risk: development of a surveillance approach, Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food.
· Influence of genetic mutations on iron status linked to dietary intake: from the UK Women's Cohort Study, Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food.
· Methods of reducing dietary fat intake: defining the mechanisms involved in successful fat reduction, BBSRC.