+44 (0)113 343 1460
Location: School of Healthcare, University of Leeds, Baines Wing (Room 1.11), Leeds, LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
- Applied Statistical Epidemiology
- Obesity & Diabetes
- Maternal & Perinatal Health
- Social Determinants of Health
- Causal Inference
Top 5 Most-Cited Publications:
- Stothard KJ, Tennant PWG, Bell R, Rankin J. Maternal Overweight and Obesity and the Risk of Congenital Anomalies: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA 2009, 301(6):636-650.
Tennant PWG, Pearce MS, Bythell M, Rankin J. 20-year survival of children born with congenital anomalies: a population-based study. Lancet 2010, 375(9715):649-656.
Tennant PWG, Rankin J, Bell R. Maternal obesity and the risk of fetal and infant death; a cohort study from the North of England. Hum Reprod 2011, 26(6):1501-1511.
Bell R, Glinianaia S, Tennant PWG, Bilous R, Rankin J. Peri-conception hyperglycaemia and nepthropathy are associated with risk of congenital anomaly in women with pre-existing diabetes: population-based cohort study. Diabetologia 2012, 55(4):936-947.
Rankin J, Tennant PWG, Stothard KJ, Bythell M, Summerbell C, Bell R. Maternal body mass index and congenital anomaly risk; a cohort study. Int J Obes (Lond) 2010, 34(9):1371-1380.
Salotti J, Tennant PWG, Windebank K, Rankin J. (2012) Histiocytic disorders in children with congenital anomalies; a population-based record linkage study. Newlife Foundation for Disabled Children, £14,899
Tennant PWG, Glinianaia SV, Rankin J. (2011) Investigating the epidemiology of partial urorectal septum malformation sequence: a population-based study using data from the British Isles Network of Congenital Anomaly Registers (BINOCAR). Newlife Foundation for Disabled Children, £14,956
Pearce MS, Gibson GJ, Tennant PWG. (2008) Lifecourse predictors of respiratory function and the link to systemic inflammation: a follow-up at age 61 years. Breathe North (now British Lung Foundation North Region), £24,761
'Maternal obesity and adverse pregnancy outcomes: Potential mechanisms' at Association for the Study Obesity 3rd UK Congress of Obesity (Nottingham, 2016).
'Risk of recurrent congenital anomaly in the second pregnancy: a population-based registry study from the North of England' at Society for Social Medicine 60th Annual Scientific Meeting (York, 2016).
'Childhood Infectious Disease and Risk of Premature Death from Cancer: A Prospective Cohort Study' at Society for Social Medicine 58th Annual Scientific Meeting (Oxford, 2014).
'Childhood Infectious Disease and Risk of Premature Death from Cancer: A Prospective Cohort Study' at Society for Social Medicine 56th Annual Scientific Meeting (London, 2012).
'The complex association between blood glucose concentration and birth weight in women with pre-gestational diabetes' at Medical Research Council Population Health Methods and Challenges Conference (Birmingham, 2012).
'Maternal obesity and the absolute risks of stillbirth and infant death' at Medical Research Council Population Health Methods and Challenges Conference (Birmingham, 2012).
'Impact of maternal obesity on stillbirth and infant death: absolute risk and temporal trends' at XIX International Epidemiology Association World Congress of Epidemiology (Edinburgh, 2011)
'Predictors of survival in children born with Down syndrome' at British Isles Network of Congenital Anomalies Registers Biennial Scientific Conference (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 2010)
'Predictors of survival in children born with Down syndrome' at Society of Social Medicine 54th Annual Scientific Meeting (Belfast, 2010)
'Increased risk of fetal loss and infant death in obese women' at British Maternal and Fetal Medicine Society 14th Annual Conference (Gateshead, 2010)
'Maternal age and the risk of structural congenital anomalies' at British Maternal and Fetal Medicine Society 14th Annual Conference (Gateshead, 2010)
'Twenty-year survival of children born with congenital anomalies' at Society of Social Medicine 53rd Annual Scientific Meeting (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 2009)
'Prevalence and outcome for individuals with Down syndrome, 1985-2003' at British Maternal and Fetal Medicine Society 13th Annual Conference (Liverpool, 2009)
Other Esteem Indicators:
Abstracts: Over 40 published abstracts, published in:
▪ J Epidemiol Community Health
▪ Eur J Epidemiol
▪ Arch Dis Child (Fetal Neonatal Ed)
▪ Diabetic Med
▪ Obes Rev
▪ J Dev Orig Health Dis
▪ Int J Obes
- Executive Positions:
▪ Honorary Secretary of Society for Social Medicine (2016-2020)
▪ Chair of SSM Early Career Research Subcommittee (2012)
▪ Society for Social Medicine Main committee (2012; 2015-2020)
▪ SSM Early Career Research subcommittee (2011-2013)
Invited journal peer-reviewer:
▪ BMC Medicine
▪ Lancet Psychiatry
▪ Obesity Facts
▪ Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol
▪ Prev Med
Conference abstract reviewer:
▪ Society for Social Medicine Annual Scientific Meeting (2011-2013; 2015-2020)
Prizes & Awards:
▪ Third Prize in Poster Session A at Society for Social Medicine 57th Annual Scientific Meeting (2013)
▪ Top-ten highest scoring abstract at the Society for Social Medicine 56th Annual Scientific Meeting (2012)
▪ Early career researcher bursary to attend the Medical Research Council (MRC) Population Health Methods and Challenges Conference (2012)
▪ Young Investigator Award for Best Poster Presentation in Theme 'Other' at the XIX International Epidemiology Association (IEA) World Congress of Epidemiology (2011)
▪ Runner up best presenter at the Institute of Health & Society / Institute of Neuroscience Joint Research Day (2011)
▪ Highest-scoring abstract from a pre-doctoral early career researcher at the Society for Social Medicine 54th Annual Scientific Meeting (2010)
▪ 'Can a 30-second chat with a GP really trigger weight loss' Guardian ('Sifting the Evidence' Blog). 28 October 2016.
▪ 'Public health the key to cutting stillbirths' Guardian (Letter). 25 November 2015.
▪ 'Christmas Geekery'. Fuse Open Science Blog. 24 December 2013.
▪ 'The Pig Observation'. Fuse Open Science Blog. 30 May 2013.
▪ 'Reaching for the blue rubber chicken'. Fuse Open Science Blog. 06 December 2012.
▪ 'Collaborative writing'. Fuse Open Science Blog. 11 October 2012.
▪ 'From middle-class to world-class'. Fuse Open Science Blog. 18 July 2012.
▪ 'Nothing personal'. Fuse Open Science Blog. 14 June 2012.
▪ 'Academic rivalry'. Fuse Open Science Blog. 15 May 2012.
▪ 'The art of conferencing'. Fuse Open Science Blog. 24 April 2012.
▪ 'Nothing like riding a bike'. Fuse Open Science Blog. 04 April 2012.
▪ 'A perineal what?' Fuse Open Science Blog. 22 March 2012.
- Twitter: My professional account (@PWGTennant) has nearly 2,000 followers
- Webinar: 'Using Twitter as an academic researcher' YouTube presentation has received over 750 total views. Created 02 April 2013.
- Public engagement: 'Eight minutes of avoidance'. Comedy routine for 'Bright Club' engagement event. Originally delivered to an audience of ≈150 at the Stand Comedy Club (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) on 26 November 2013. YouTube video has received nearly 500 views.