The School of Dentistry and Leeds University Dental Society recently held the Inaugural Student and Staff of the Year Awards.
The aim of these Awards was to
recognise and celebrate students and staff for their achievements, commitments
and impact within the School of Dentistry at the University of Leeds. Having
only been established in 2017, these Awards will become an annual
event to celebrate more of the School's inspiring and active students and
members of staff for the future to come.
We received a total of 90 nominations at the end of January and this was shortlisted to only 17 nominees. An intense week of voting then allowed the Panel to unanimously choose the overall winners of the Student and Staff of the Year. This year, we decided to award two Students an award due to their similarities in contribution to the School and votes.
Our first Awards Ceremony was held on the evening of Thursday 27th April 2017 and presented awards to:
Robyn Adams, Staff of the Year 2017
- Going above and
beyond in her role as an Educational Advisor.
- For committing her time, even if that means staying till 7pm to help students
- Introducing drop-in sessions for particular assignments
- Expanding the student Peer-to-Peer support schemes
- Her contribution to Denstudy
Monica Soliman, Student of the Year 2017
- For being
"a real asset to the School"
- Always cheerful and happy even when stressed
- Going above and beyond of what she has been asked to do
- An active Year Rep, trying to make her fellow final year students' lives a little bit easier
Esme Grange, Student of the Year
- Going the extra
mile to ensure School events such as open days and the MMIs run smoothly
- Her contribution to the student-led Open Wide Scheme and liaising well with the widening participation leads in the School
- Helpful and reliable
The ceremony ended with a buffet and refreshments, and everybody had an enjoyable evening.
We are already looking forward to celebrating our staff and student achievements at next year's awards ceremony.