CPD and the MBChB/ Physicians Associate curricula
Opportunities to all involved in teaching and training on the MBChB curriculum and those with an interest in education can attend various workshops, courses and training events which support teaching, supervising or tutoring. These may be organised by LIME or other institutes within the School of Medicine.
Find out more about the MBChB curriculum here.
An MBChB Curriculum map is available to download
How to get involved in Teaching
There are several ways to get more involved in teaching within the MBChB. Please view our booklet.
The CPD team hold a secure volunteer list. Opportunities to teach/mark/supervise within the MBChB and Physicians Associate programme are emailed to this list. If you would like to be on this mailing list, fill in the form and email it back tous. We shall provide your details to the appropriate people, according to workplace.
Book on a CPD event
The Leeds Institute of Medical Education offers a range of Free CPD activities centring on student learning, assessment in medical education, technology enhanced learning and pastoral and academic support for students. Everyone who teaches or has an interest in developing teaching skills are welcome to attend.
What we offer:
Developing your teaching:
- Peer Observation, participant-led, limited spaces. For more information and booking online, click here
- Small Group Teaching, a fundamental teaching technique for medical educators. For more information and booking online, click here
- Large Group Teaching, effective lecturing and enhanced presentation skills. Limited spaces. For more information and booking online, click here
- Supporting Medical Educators Skills' Day, an annual event focusing on teaching skills. For more information click here
- Teaching the Physicians Associates, introducing the new healthcare role and the teaching approach by University of Leeds. For more information click here
- Junior Doctors as Teachers, a workshop focused on the role of junior doctors in everyday teaching. For more information click here
- Interprofessional Education, creating an interprofessional workplace learning environment - how to enhance and innovate. For more information click here
- Annual Clinical Teachers Day, an event celebrating the teaching within the MBChB. For more information click here
Enhancing your teaching:
- Technology in the MBChB. An introduction to the technologies and mobile apps used within the medical degree. Delegates will be able to expand and develop their ideas involving technology enhanced learning For more information and to book online click here
- Virtual reality - an Educational Platform. Demonstrating the newest technologies which can be incorporated into your teaching. For more information and book online,click here
- TiMEToTeach. This workshop will address issues surrounding teaching in the MBChB and Diploma in PA studies. It will provide insights into the curricula and online assessments used by students. For more information and to book online click here
- Nudges and feedback. Tips to formatively assess students and provide feedback during workplace based assessments. For more information and to book online click here
- Innovation in Clinical Teaching. Tips and Tricks from successful clinical teachers. For more information and to book online click here
- Making time for teaching. Methods and ideas to provide teaching opportunities within a busy schedule. For more information and to book online click here
- Teaching on the Ward and in the Clinic. How to provide an excellent student experience and develop your teaching skills. For more information and to book online click here
- Teaching using Simulation. How to effectively use simulation techniques to enhance teaching. For more information and to book online click here
- Sustainability. Future-proofing your teaching with regards to sustainability. For more information and to book online click here
- Threshold Concepts. Identifying difficult areas of learning in our field and adopting different teaching techniques to support the learner. For more information and to book online, click here
- MCQ/EMQ Writing An introduction into the theory and practice of writing exam questions in an MCQ/EMQ format. More more information or to book online click here
- OSCE Writing Theory behind OSCEs and working towards devising new OSCE stations. For more information and to book online click here
- OSCE Examiner Training Outling the roles of examiners and how to mark stations. For more information and to book online, click here
Support for students/junior doctors
- Student support, for information on how to support students with their learning and pathway to becoming a doctor. Formore information and to book online, click here
- Student Support Conference Bringing together experts in developmental student support in health professional education. For more information, click here
- Careers guidance - making medical careers accessible and developing skills and practices for career guidance. For more information and to book online, click here
- Mentoring Network. This network focuses on supporting newly qualified doctors with their teaching. There are various workshops throughout the year for mentoring support. For more information on the network, or if you are interested in joining the network, please click here
Further information on LIME CPD activities and other CPD events in the School of Medicine and wider Faculty of Medicine and Health can be found here,
LITE BITES are a selection of 10 minute e-learning packages designed to provide an overview of teaching related subjects. The courses are suitable for clinicians teaching students and clinical educators working in the NHS.
OSCE Examiner Training Refresher course is available here. If you wish to examine at this year's exams you may want to refesh your training. Please use our online course and any enquires please email the CPD team.
Student Support - if you are a tutor or personal tutor or if you have teaching responsibilities, online resources are available to download specifically focused on Student Support. Our colleagues have published an AMEE guide for student support in medical undergraduate education, withfree access.
An online course entitled Equality and Diversity Essentials may be accessed by staff employed by University of Leeds through the Equality Policy Unit. Non-university staff, please contact Cait Dennis for access.
The Organisational Development and Professional Learning (ODPL) at the University of Leeds have on-line resources for learning and teaching as well as information and guidance about working and standards at the university.
Leeds Institute of Medical Education has developed a network of medical education mentors to provide junior doctors, or doctors just beginning to undertake teaching responsibilities in West Yorkshire with support for their teaching activities. Further information, including how to become a mentor or mentee, can be found here.
Develop your Teaching Expertise - Formal Programmes
If you are interested in furthering and formalising your teaching skills, the university has accredited courses to build upon your exisiting knowledge. You may want to look into the following courses offered:
In addition to the formal courses listed above, it is hoped that by partaking in our CPD courses - on-line and on-site, thereby meeting standards outlined by the Academy of Medical Educators, we may be able to support your application to become a Member of the Academy of Medical Educators. Further details will be available soon, please contact Dr Cait Dennis
Your role as a Medical Educator
To ensure you meet the requirements expected of a Medical Educator we have aligned our CPD courses to the GMC and Academy of Medical Educators framework of standards. Our mapping document can be downloaded from our website. The London Deanery has a document mapping the Professional Development Framework to the Good Medical Practice Framework for Appraisal and Revalidation 2013 which as a Medical Educator you may also find beneficial.
The seven areas of activity within the GMC framework are as follows:
1. Ensuring Safe and Effective Patient Care through Training
2. Establishing and Maintaining an Environment for Learning
3. Teaching and Facilitating Learning
4. Enhancing Learning through Assessment
5. Supporting and Monitoring Educational Progress
6. Guiding Personal and Professional Development
7. Continuing Professional Development as an Educator
Workshops and Courses will be run with this framework in mind as well as addressing the AoME domains of Professional Standards:
Domain 1: Design and Planning of Learning Activities
Domain 2: Teaching and Supporting Learners
Domain 3: Assessment and Feedback to Learners
Domain 4: Educational Research and Evidence-Based Practice
Domain 5: Educational Management and Leadership
Core Values: Professional Integrity; Educational Scholarship; Equality of Opportunity and Diversity; Respect for the public, the patients, learners, colleagues
Links to further resources
To assist you in developing your Medical Education expertise we have compiled a collection of web links that you may find beneficial and can be found here.
Address for correspondence: Leeds Institute of Medical Education, Level 7 Worsley Building, University of Leeds, LS2 9NL
Telephone: Dr C Dennis +44-113-343-2527 Mrs H Mandande +44-113-343-1656
Email: CPD team - email@example.com
Dr C Dennis - C.Dennis@leeds.ac.uk
Mrs Havita Mandande - H.Mandande@leeds.ac.uk