Dental Translational and Clinical Research Unit (DenTCRU)
Funded via a prestigious £1.7m capital award by the Wellcome Trust/University of Leeds, DenTCRU is a state-of-the-art research clinic dedicated to the delivery of world-class translational and clinical research in dentistry.
DenTCRU provides our researchers with an environment:
- To expedite interdisciplinary translational dental research for patient benefit
- To generate high quality clinical and translational oral and dental health research including: efficacy and effectiveness clinical trials of investigational medicinal products (CTIMPS) and devices; Oral biomarker examination for potential novel prognostic/diagnostic capabilities. Mechanistic evaluations to advance biological understanding
- That supports development of methodologically robust projects tailored to NHS priorities
- To develop collaboration with strategic industry partners via coordination of trials of novel treatments and devices to support regulatory approval; to enable studies to be undertaken to the quality and rigour expected by Good Clinical Practice and regulatory governance standard
- To forge multi-disciplinary research partnerships between clinicians, academics, industry and patients; enabling a patient-centric approach with integral Patient Public Involvement and Engagement (PPIE) throughout the research cycle
- To deliver evidence-based dental treatment and care that maximises patient benefit and NHS impact
- To manage a range of grant-funded studies to large, multicentre and international clinical trials
- To train the next generation of clinical academics in high-quality clinical research
Equipped to an exceptionally high standard, DenTCRU has six high specification dental units and supporting laboratory infrastructure, providing researchers with access to non-invasive intra-oral diagnostics, high throughput microbiological molecular screening and stem-cell based therapies and devices in regenerative skeletal medicine. DenTCRU is an integral speciality spoke of the National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) Leeds Clinical Research Facility delivering high quality early translational and experimental medicine and dentistry research ensuring new treatments and diagnostics reach patients more quickly.
Working closely with NIHR registered Clinical Trials Units ensures that our clinical research is performed to the highest standards of clinical governance and rigour. The Director of DenTCRU co-leads the Yorkshire & Humber region of the NIHR Oral & Dental Health Speciality of the National Clinical Research Network ensuring timely delivery and support for recruitment and retention in clinical studies.
DenTCRU is a dedicated facility through which we achieve our vision of delivering world-leading research excellence, patient benefit and research impact. We engage with a range of partners and stakeholders from major international companies to our local community.
Click here to download a copy of our DenTCRU brochure.