Postgraduate research students registered within their minimum period of study on 1 December are provided annually with postgraduate research student training support funds. This money is paid from the funding Schools/Institutes received annually for each postgraduate research student registered at the 1st December census. It is Faculty policy that each Institute/School to provide the lead supervisor with an annual budget to support training needs of their eligible postgraduate research students.
Each Institute/School will allocate the postgraduate research student training support funds in a slightly different way (e.g. completion of a pro-forma may be required). The Faculty Graduate School will inform you each year if you are eligible for the postgraduate research student training support funds and provide you with a contact within your Institute/School for any queries.
Purpose of the Postgraduate Research Student Training Support Funds
The postgraduate research student training support funds can be used for the following approved purposes associated with the students research training:
- Expenses relating to attendance at relevant external research or professional training courses
- Expenses relating to attendance at training courses or modules run within the Faculty or University for which an attendance fee is levied.
- Attendance at scientific meetings to enable the student to present their research (i.e. as a contribution to travel, accommodation, subsistence, registration fees).
- In exceptional cases, purchase of items of equipment or consumables for specific use by the student and travel expenses essential for completion of the research project (includes transcription services). Such uses of the training support funds must be approved by the Head of Institute.
The postgraduate research student training support funds must not be used for any of the following purposes:
- Payment of academic fees for the student.
- Payment of thesis binding or examination fees
- Purchases to cover research expenses on unrelated projects.
- Training costs relating to persons other than the registered student
- Payment of salaries for research, technical or administrative staff.
Expenditure from the postgraduate research student training support funds will be audited by School/Institute Business Managers and annual reports submitted to the Faculty Graduate School.